The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) or TSS visa is the temporary work visa in Australia. The employers who are unable to find suitable talent amongst Australians can sponsor a suitably skilled foreign worker to fill a position. It was introduced on 19 March 2019 to replace Temporary Work visa subclass 457 which has been abolished by Australia Department of Home Affairs
Types of Temporary Skill Shortage subclass 482
Short Term Stream
- To bring in skilled labor from overseas when there is no Australian skilled labor available.
- Labour can be brought for the occupations listed in the STSOL (Short-Term Skilled Occupations List) only.
- Stay from 2 to 4 years is granted.
- It is for people who have the skills to work in Australia for a business sponsor when skilled Australians are not available.
- Applicants can only apply if they are skilled in the occupations listed in MLTSSL (Medium or Long Term Strategic Skills List) or ROL (Regional Occupations List).
- Stay up to 4 years is granted.
Labor Agreement Stream
For skilled labor that is nominated by a business sponsor under the labor agreement.
- Stay up to 4 years is granted.
This visa is available for the applicant’s family members if the applicant applies for this tss visa separately. There are no official processing timing figures.
The applicant can select the stream based on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List. If their occupation comes under the short-term stream then the maximum time period of the TSS visa will be approved for is two years and can be renewed once. If their occupation comes under the medium-term stream, then the maximum time period of the TSS visa will be approved for is four years and can renew as much as they want.
If an applicant receives a sponsor from an Australian employer who has a labour agreement with the Department of Home Affairs can be eligible to apply under labour Agreement stream.
Eligibility Criteria to avail Temporary skill shortage Visa
- There is no age requirement for this visa
- The applicant should have an occupation on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List
- The applicant should have been nominated for a job position by an Australian employer
- should have the relevant skills and qualifications for that occupation
- should have at least two years of work experience in the relevant occupation
- You have vocational English language ability
- Should meet health and character requirements
- Should Satisfy salary and employment condition related requirements
- Should Provide evidence of Labour Market Testing if required
- should be a lawfully operating business
- Should not have adverse information against the business
- Should nominate a job position for the foreign national worker that is full-time and genuine.
- Short term – Application processing time can range from 8 months to 11 months. You need to pay AUD1,290 for this visa application.
- Medium-term – The processing time of visa application can range from 5 to 8 months. You need to pay AUD2,690 for this visa application.
- Labour agreement stream – The average application processing time can range from 6 to 10 months and the cost will be AUD2,690.
If the applicant is in Australia while applying, they should have a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A, B, or C and have complied with visa condition.
Requirements for employers to apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)
482 Visa Processing Time & Cost
It has to be understood that the processing time of one’s application should not be a deciding factor while applying for a TSS visa. Visa must be applied, only when the applicant qualifies all the necessary 482 visa requirements. For further clarification or guidance, it is recommended that one always connects with Immigration Agent Perth, Australia. A proper online search for the best migration agent in Perth can lead to a huge help.