A Simple Guide to Child Visa Australia

Subclass 101

A child visa (802 and 101) allows an eligible parent to sponsor their child to live in Australia for an indefinite time. The parent can apply visa on behalf of a child younger than age of 18 years.

Subclass 802 visa is applied if the child is in Australia while Subclass 101 visas is applied when the child is outside Australia. Both the visas allow applicants to live in Australia permanently with their parents.

When applying for dependent child visa (subclass 445) the applicant can be in or outside of Australia at the time of application. If the applicant is in Australia at the time of application, they must be in Australia at the time of grant. If the applicant outside of Australia at the time of application, they must be outside of Australia at the time of grant.

Difference Between a Child Visa and a Dependent Child Visa

A child visa (subclass 101 or subclass 802) is a permanent visa that is available to children or step-children of Australian citizens, permanent residents of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizens. Whereas a dependent child visa (subclass 445) is a temporary visa that is available to children or step-children of temporary partner visa holders. A dependent child visa holder then transitions onto a permanent partner visa (subclass 100 or 801) at the same time as their parent.

Child Visa Requirements


The applicant has to be sponsored by an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen.


The applicant and sponsor must provide evidence of their identity, this includes a passport, birth certificate and national identity card if applicable.

Health Assessment

The applicant is required complete a health assessment to demonstrate they are not likely to incur excessive costs to Australian taxpayers through public health care.


The applicant must either be under 18 or aged between 18 and 25 and dependent on sponsoring parent or temporary partner visa holder. There is no age limit if the applicant is incapacitated for work due to loss of bodily or mental functions.

Character Test

Applicants over the age of 16 and the sponsor have to show that they are of good character, which requires police clearances for any country they have lived in for 12 months or more (cumulatively) within the past 10 years (from the age of 16 onwards). If either of them have a substantial criminal record (usually a prison sentence exceeding 12 months) they will fail the character test unless there are mitigating circumstances.

Assurance of Support

An assurance of support (AoS) is sometimes required for a Child Visa. This is a financial bond which is paid by an assurer to provide financial support to your migrating child. This means that they don’t have to rely on social welfare payments, which are normally at the cost of the Australian community. The assurer does not necessarily have to be the sponsor of the child.



Become part of the Upright Migration Consultants. We would love to assist you with your visa application!

  • Upright Migration Consultants

    Suite 4, Level 5, 342 Flinders St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia